Thursday, July 8, 2010

Between Complexity and Reality


Life, its mostly like algebra. It seems complex and difficult, but when you do it you
soon realise that it is fairly simple. It only seems hard because it looks different,
having numbers side by side with letters makes it seem very intimidating and almost
impossible to do. Its just that sometimes in life, we do not wanna try new things or
meet certain people because we find the negative in most things first due to the caution
we adopted from past experiences. Its only when we get out of our comfort zone when
we tell ourselves "Hey this doesn't seem too bad, I can get used to this."

Just like my current job im taking up in an auditing firm. I have never worked a
single day in my life before(excluding small time jobs). It was completely out of my
comfort zone for a variety of reasons. Number one, Im extremely bad with numbers,
the idea of doing auditing is a complete nightmare for me. Number two, meeting new
people: being the introvert I am, having the luxury of long time friends around me all
the time does not help being in a firm full of strangers. Number three, I have never
worked, never intended to anytime soon and here I am. Facing long hours at work
and doing tedious tasks.

Well, it didnt seem too bad. I never remained nervous for too long at first. Although
I may be bad with numbers, but I had alot of helpful seniors helping me as I audited
each company. After 3 weeks of work everything looks dandy and I finally have at
least some control over things. As for the second reason, people here are actually quite
friendly. They may be speaking mandrin half the time but atleast they are not bossy
in any way and the are kinda funny too. As for the third reason, working seems ok to
me. I dont mind doing tedious stuff and I seem to be self motivated which suprises
myself.

Most things always seem hard at first but after a while, or maybe even immediatly
you realise that nothing is completely out of reach. You have to give everything a try
before you make stereotypical and judgemental assumptions on things. Its good to
get out of your comfort zone once in a while, only then will you realise that your
comfort zone much bigger compared to what you once thought. :)

No comments: